CHAMPS MEET EMAIL
GOOD EVENING STINGRAYS! –It’s me again! Everybody simmer down now…I’d be excited to hear from me too, but we’ve got a lot to cover here. For the last time this swim season, it’s Stingray time!
This is CHAMPS weekend as we all know. Champs operates slightly different than regular meets so pay attention, por favor.
LOCATION & VENUE DETAILS
- CHAMPS is being held at the Round Rock ISD Natatorium at Cedar Ridge High School
- The address is: 2801 Gattis School Road, Round Rock, 78664
- There is a 3-page map attached to this email. Read it. Learn it. Love it.
- THERE WILL BE NO GENERAL SPECTATOR SEATING INSIDE THE POOL. Like our last couple of meets (and last years’ CHAMPS) the league and the facility are asking that you come in to watch your swimmer race and then exit the building.
- You are allowed to set up ez-ups and tents in the parent/spectator area. Stakes are ok too, as long as they are <5” long.
- We are live streaming the event. https://www.twitch.tv/saabswim (Yes, it’s a SAAB account. You’re in the right place if you click on it. They were gracious enough to set that up and let everyone use it)
- The facility has public restrooms available, as well as swimmer locker rooms for the kids. The locker rooms will be for swimmers only.
- We’ll also have all of our tents & ground coverage in the zoos for the kids, as well as tons of waters.
- The zoos will be on the south side of the pool. Swimmer check-in will be located at the end of the zoo, closest to the swimmer drop-off area.
- Please mark your swimmers up before you drop them off. It makes life much easier if you have already this done when you drop your kids off. If you don’t know how to do that, I’m not sure what to tell you. We’re 6 meets into the season. [shrugs shoulders]
- THERE ARE NO PARENTS ALLOWED IN THE ZOOS AT CHAMPS. Drop your kiddo(s) off and then get to steppin’.
- There will be concessions available. Kona Ice, Taco Food Truck, and some fancy lemonade truck(?). There is also a Randalls grocery store nearby
HEAT SAFETY (READ THIS!!)
- They say time flies when you’re having fun. It also flies when you’re in a medically induced coma from heat stroke.
- Jokes aside…It’s going to be hot this Saturday and, as mentioned above, both the zoos and parent/spectator seating are located OUTSIDE. In the heat.
- EVERYONE NEEDS TO START HYDRATING NOW. TONIGHT. Waiting until Saturday AM is too late. In fact, go grab a water right now. I’ll wait.
- Make sure your swimmer has something to keep them occupied between races. Ipad, book, etc., etc. We will not be allowing them to run around. It’s too hot for that.
- The kids will also need flip flops/crocs to get from the zoo to the pool and back.
- Swimmers will be allowed to go back inside and cool off in the warmup/cool down pool
- If you or someone with you (i.e., grandparents) have any doubt in your mind whatsoever about your ability to sit in the heat all day, I would consider staying home and watching the event on live stream. Seriously.
- The meet will be broken into 2 sessions. 10 & under in the morning. 11 & older in the afternoon/evening. See the timeline later in this email.
- We will be starting off of blocks for this meet.
- RRISD is a 50-meter pool.
- The theme for this meet will be “The Sun,” because, you guessed it, it’s going to be hotter than the sun, like, melt-your-face-off hot.
- I’m kidding, there’s no theme for this meet. Let’s keep it simple this time and just go win, baby!
TIMELINE (MORNING SESSION)
- 6:30AM: Setup crew and zoo volunteers check in
- 6:45AM: Swimmers check in at the Zoos.
- 6:45AM: Meet directors & Coaches meeting
- 7:15AM – 7:45AM: Morning session warmups
- 7:55AM: National Anthem
- 8:00AM: Morning session begins
- 1:25PM: Morning session ends
NOTE: Parents, please come get your swimmer(s) as quick as you can so we can make room for the afternoon session swimmers. You can pick them up where you dropped them off at.
TIMELINE (AFTERNOON SESSION)
- 1:15PM: Volunteers and afternoon swimmers check in
- 1:40PM: Meet directors and coaches meeting
- 1:45PM – 2:15PM: Afternoon session warmups
- 2:25PM: National Anthem
- 2:30PM: Afternoon session begins
- 7:40PM: Afternoon session ends
That’s it, folks. That’s all I’ve got. As the saying goes, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” It’s been a heckuva a year, people. Everything single person here is a part of that. Thanks for making all of our summers so fun. I feel lucky to get to be a part of such a great group of people and great neighborhood. Ya’ll are the best.